Spaghetti Puttanesca made with Olive & Red Wine Pasta Sauce
This is a favoured recipe from our friend, Leanne of De Bortoli Wines in the Yarra Valley.
It is said that Spaghetti Puttanesca was created when the Italian ladies of the night needed to make a wholesome, but quick, meal in the evenings, in between...clients... We love a saucy story, almost as much as we love Leanne’s recipe for this Italian classic.
1 jar NOGO Olive & Red Wine Pasta Sauce, (or to your saucy preference!)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
45g tin anchovy fillets in olive oil
16 black olives, pitted & halved
1 cup chopped parsley
500g spaghettini or gluten free alternative
Salt & pepper to taste
Parmigiano cheese (grated) or alternative if required
1. To a large pot of boiling, salted water, add spaghettini or GF pasta. Whilst the pasta is cooking prepare the sauce.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan, add chilli and cook gently over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add anchovies (reserving the oil), olives and half of the parsley. Cook on medium for 2 minutes.
4. Add a jar of NOGO Olive and Red Wine sauce and continue to cook for 8 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally. (Some of the reserved anchovy oil can be added at this time if you wish to add more flavour to the dish).
5. Be sure to continue checking the pasta - we want it al dente!
6. Drain the pasta (but be sure to keep a small amount of this water), place back in the pot with the pasta water and a dash of olive oil (GF pasta is quite thirsty).
7. Add the sauce and mix thoroughly with the rest of the fresh parsley.
8. Grate parmigiano cheese over the top and serve immediately.
Note: As a variation to the dish, capers can be added at the same time as the olives. We ALWAYS endorse adding as much fresh or dried chilli as you like!
Did you know in the NOGO Kitchen we only use de Bortoli Victorian wines in our pasta sauces? Their red wine is an important ingredient in our Olive & Red Wine Pasta Sauce and pairs beautifully when served alongside a glass of their Windy Peak Pint Noir.