Salmon and Quinoa Cakes
Serve: makes 15 small cakes
GF, DF, Low FODMAP, Vegan/vegetarian
These Salmon & Quinoa Cakes are a delicious bite size Asian inspired entrée or nibble. They are full of Omega 3 and protein, perfect dipped in our Sweet Chilli Sauce.
1. ½ cup quinoa
2. ½ cup water
3. ½ tsp salt
4. 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
5. 500g salmon fillets, skin off
6. 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
7. ½ cup spring onion (green ends only), chopped
8. ½ cup coriander, chopped
9. ½ cup mint, chopped
10. 1 large egg
11. 4 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
12. 2 tbsp tapioca flour
13. 1 tbsp garlic infused EVOO
14. ½ tsp pepper
15. ½ tsp salt
16. EVOO spray
• Sweet Chilli Sauce
• Lemon wedges
1. Combine quinoa and water in a microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave for 8-10 minutes. Once cooked, mix in 1 teaspoon EVOO and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Set aside to cool.
Finely chop the spinach, spring onion, coriander and mint.
2. Roughly dice the salmon, place in a food processor and blitz until the salmon reflects a smooth texture.
3. Place the quinoa, salmon, spinach, spring onion, coriander, mint, egg, Sweet Chilli Sauce, tapioca flour, garlic infused EVOO, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. Mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are combined.
4. Roll the mixture into 15 small balls and place on a plate.
5. Great a large pan with EVOO spray and heat on medium heat.
6. Place 3 cakes in the pan and flatten them so they look like patties/burgers. Cook the cakes for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Reduce the heat if the cakes are browning too fast.
7. Continue to cook the remaining patties. You shouldn’t require additional EVOO spray as there will be some residue in the pan from the previous cakes that will prevent sticking.
8. To serve, place the 15 cakes on a plate with additional Sweet Chilli Sauce for dipping. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on the cakes and garnish with fresh mint.