Quick and easy Pho Ga (chicken pho) served with our Zingy Ginger Finishing Sauce
Sharing this recipe takes me back to having Pho lessons at my hotel in Vietnam. Such lovely and helpful staff... pho is a perfect for a fit healthy tummy!
Ingredients:Broth (with Massel Liquid Stock):
- 10 dried shrimp (or two tablespoons fish sauce or coco-mino’s)
- Finely sliced fresh ginger (3cm piece)
- Green Spring Onion (6 long stems)
- 2 L chicken stock, homemade or low FODMAP (we use Massel as it’s Low FODMAP, either cubes or liquid)
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional or to taste)
Note: by not using soy sauce we are helping keep the broth clear.
- Thai Basil leaves (0ptional)
- 1 cup bean shoots
- 1 Cup bamboo shoot
- ½ cup finely chopped green Spring Onion
- Lemon or Lime wedges
- Red Thai Chillies (thinly sliced)
- 4 large chicken thigh fillets or chicken breast
- 1 Jar NOGO Zingy Ginger Finishing Sauce
- 1 pack rice stick noodles
Boil a large pot of plain water. Once boiling turn off.
Gently lower the 4 chicken breasts into the water for 30-40 minutes, put lid on and let rest for up to 40 minutes.
Remove once cooked.
Set Aside and once cool, finely slice.
** This is the most delicious and healthy way of cooking chicken, the finished cooked meat is juicy and tender. If smaller chicken pieces, reduce cooking time or they can dry out. You are best to use chicken breast with this method.
These are quick and easy to cook, boiled, according to the instructions on your pack. Once cooked, rinse with cold water and set aside to serve.
- Dry fry : Star Anise, Cinnamon Stick, Coriander seeds and Ginger, this helps release flavour and gives the soup and delicious depth of flavour
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and gently boil for up to an hour (with lid on pot)
- Once cooked, strain
- Place stock back into a clean pot, reheat
- It’s now ready for serving.
- 1-2 tablespoons NOGO Zingy Ginger Finishing Sauce
- Lemon Wedges
- Thai Basil (Optional)
- Coriander (optional
- Red Thai Chillies (thinly sliced and optional)
- Bean Shoots
- Pour into Serving bowls (preferably a large soup style bowl)
- Place the sliced chicken and your choice of Garnishes on top of the broth/Pho
- Squeeze lemon juice into broth
- Top the meat and garnish with NOGO Zingy Ginger Sauce
Note : Instructions if using a whole chicken rather than ready-made chicken stock and chicken breast:Broth:
- Place all ingredients into the pot including the whole chicken and 2 litres of water (not stock)
- Gently cook for up to 40 minutes (or until cooked, depending on size of the chicken). Note: use a lower heat here so the chicken does not dry out or loose it’s flavour
- Skim the top of the broth whilst cooking to help remove and residue, this will help keep the broth clear
- Once cooked remove the chicken
- Finely slice chicken for serving into the Pho Ga!