Low FODMAP Falafel's with Eggplant Relish and Garlic Aioli Mayonnaise
Served with NOGO Condiments:
Low FODMAP, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan
Ditch the bloat with our fantastic Low FODMAP Falafel Recipe – the ultimate vegan delight that's packed with flavour!
These golden falafel balls are a mouth-watering combo of soft and crunchy. But to raise it to the next level, all you need to do is add a dollop of NOGO's Eggplant Relish and our Low FODMAP Garlic Aioli Mayonnaise. Trust us; it's a match made in foodie heaven! Indulge guilt-free (and bloat free) and savour these mouth-watering flavours!
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- Juice of one large lime (or lemon)
- Zest of one lime
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup Coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small green chilli pepper finely chopped (leave the seeds in for a little more spice)
- 1 cup green spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (to make it easier you could use precooked rice)
- 1 garlic clove (or low FODMAP alternative)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tbspGluten Free plain flour
- Season withAustralian Sea Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Pre-cook the rice.
- Grate carrot
- Zest and juice the lime
- Chop the parsley
- Roughly chop green spring onion
- Wash and drain the canned chickpeas
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor
- Blend until it forms a smooth paste (if the mixture is too dry then add a tablespoon of water or oil). Once it is well combined, stir through the gluten free flour (the paste should be just dry enough to handle).
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF)
- Using a tables spoon, make the falafel into small patties
- Grease a pan with Olive Oil
- Space out evenly for crispy cooking
- Spray or brush the tops with extra olive oil
- Bake for around 12 minutes each side or until golden brown
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium high heat
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Scoop out the falafel and form into small patties (we suggest using a tablespoon).
- Place in the fry pan and cook until golden.
- Falafel are best golden on the outside, not charred. Make sure your oil doesn't get too hot. If it does, the outside will cook too fast before the inside can warm up.
Here are some serving ideas for your delicious homemade Falafel’s!
Serve in a soft pita, Gluten Free flat bread, GF Tortilla or just a Low FODMAP bread roll or sandwich.
Serving companions for Falafel, mix it up, use your imagination and have fun!
- Greek Salad
- Potato wedges
- Tazatziki Sauce
- Traditional Kimchi
- Tomato and cucumber salad
- Pickle Veggies
According to Monash University, canned chickpeas are low FODMAP at 1/4 cup per serve. The FODMAPs leach out of canned chickpeas into the brine, so make sure to rinse well before using.