Baked Eggplant with Zingy Ginger and Tofu (Vegan)
I really enjoy preparing meat-free meals, and I love that the majority of our products are suitable for vegan diets. This is a wonderful main meal that can be served at your next dinner party!
- 2 small eggplants (75 g of eggplant is a Fodmap friendly serving)
- 1 cup canned baby corn (80g is a standard Fodmap friendly serve for 1 person)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of (the green part only) spring onions
- ½ red capsicum (finely chopped)
- ½ zucchini (finely chopped)
- 350g Tofu, firm (cut into small cubes)
- ½ cup vegetable stock (the Massell brand is FODMAP)
- 1 tsp garlic-infused oil (FODMAP friendly, I love Cobram)
- 3 tablespoons NOGO Zingy Ginger Sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
For the garnish:
- 1 red finger chilli (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- Steamed basmati or jasmine rice
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Halve eggplants lengthways, then cut a 1cm-wide border around the edge of each eggplant half.
- Score the eggplant, within the border, into a diamond pattern.
- Scoop our flesh with a tablespoon and roughly chop the eggplant flesh.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- Add green spring onions and cook until soft - don’t allow to go brown.
- Add the garlic oil, chopped eggplant, vegetables, tofu and vegetable stock.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in the Zingy Ginger Sauce, then take off heat and set aside.
- Place the eggplant shells on a lightly oiled oven tray (or baking paper).
- Spoon the minced vegetable and tofu mixture into each half of the eggplant.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 mins.
- Uncover and sprinkle the top of each half with sesame seeds.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the eggplant is tender and a little golden brown on top.
- Top with fresh coriander and fresh chilli, then serve on a bed of steamed rice.
FODMAP Friendly note: If wanting to lower the amount of eggplant to a FODMAP serving, do not add the scooped out eggplant into the stuffing and instead add extra vegetables to the mix. An alternative is to use red capsicum as the outer shell and eggplant in the mixture only.