Mexican Tacos with Jalapeno Salsa
Mexican meals are my weeknight answer - simple, tasty and easy to put together. Here's our version of FODMAP Friendly tacos, which you can alter depending on your tastes, or what you have in the kitchen! We also like switching out the beef mince for chicken or crumbled tofu.
Ingredients for the spice mix:
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp aesofetida powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp black cracked pepper
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
Additional ingredients for cooking:
800g lean minced beef
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp FODMAP friendly garlic oil
Corn tortillas or tacos - gluten free (you can use hard or soft shells). (Tortillas are low FODMAP at 47g/2 standard tortillas).
Ingredients for the table (place in individual bowls):
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
2 corn cobs, steamed, boiled, or charred with corn kernels removed. (Low FODMAP at 1/2 cob per person).
4 tomatoes, finely chopped
NOGO Jalapeno Salsa
Optional: grated carrot, diced red capsicum, peeled and diced cucumber.
1. Mix all the spices together and reserve. I normally make a large batch of spice mix and keep in a sealed jar for future use.
2. In a fry pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil, allow to get hot and then add spice mix and fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
3. Add beef mince and fry for 15-20 minutes, until cooked.
4. While you are cooking the mince, heat tacos in oven or microwave as per packet instructions.
4. Put cooked mince in a serving bowl.
5. Place all bowls of ingredients on the table, with the mince, hot tacos or tortillas, the salsa and sour cream.
We love communal eating and this is it at it's best (and easiest!). All guests get to serve themselves and don't forget the dollop of sour cream & Jalapeno Salsa on top!
Note: if you are feeding young kids, you can substitute the Jalapeno Salsa for our NOGO Sweet Capsicum Relish which doesn't have the same chilli kick!