Chicken Katsu with Chilli and Lime Mayonnaise
Chicken Katsu with Chilli & Lime Mayonnaise
Creating a low FODMAP chicken katsu is a delicious way to enjoy this Japanese classic while being mindful of FODMAPs. Here's a simple recipe for low FODMAP Khicken Katsu:
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs or use Sourdough
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup lactose-free milk or normal milk
- Rice flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup NOGO Classic Mayonnaise or Chilli & Lime Mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar)
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce (gluten-free soy sauce)
- Lay out your chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper
- Pound them to an even thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin
- Season both sides with salt and pepper
Coat the chicken
- Set up three shallow dishes.
- 1st bowl: Rice flour
- 2nd Bowl: beaten eggs mixed with milk
- 3rd bowl: breadcrumbs
Follow these steps:
- Coat each chicken breast in
- rice flour,
- egg mixture,
- ensuring they are evenly coated
Cook the chicken
- In a large pan, heat some vegetable oil over medium-high heat
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts.
- Don’t crowd the pan, it will lower the temperature too much. You are better to cook the chicken in smaller batches.
- Fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through
- Place the cooked chicken on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil
Make the Sauce:
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, sugar, and tamari sauce. Mix well.
- Slice the chicken katsu into strips or serve them whole
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken or serve it on the side for dipping
- Serve with a side of rice and a simple salad of lettuce and cucumber for a complete meal.