Scotch Eggs with Sweet Capsicum Relish
The perfect picnic breakfast
This is a great recipe for a breakfast or lunch with a difference. You can cook these babies in advance. Keep in the fridge and pull them out when ready to eat. Perfect served with our Sweet Capsicum Relish.
- 2 Eggs for egg wash
- 1 cup plain flour
- Panko Bread crumbs (I made my own with white sourdough)
- Plain flour
- Lemon zest for the crumbs (optional)
- 8 Eggs (boiled in their shell until soft, or to your liking) (boil underdone so that when they are served they are still soft). We suggest about 4.5minutes cooking.
- 5 standard size pork sausages (skinned)
- 5 standard chorizo style sausages (skinned) or whatever flavour is your favourite.
- 1 large black pudding/sausage (or 2 medium)
- 2 red or green apples, finely diced
- 1 onion (or 1 cup green spring onion) finely diced
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8th teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying (make sure each Egg is covered in oil when frying)
- Jar of Sweet Capsicum Relish for spooning onto your egg
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil
- Add a good pinch of salt to the water
- When the water is boiling, using a slotted spoon, slowly lower each egg into the water (this will stop them cracking)
- Cook for 4.5 minutes (or longer if you don’t like your egg’s soft)
- Crack the two raw eggs into a mixing bowl, whisk until combined
- In another bowl pour the 1 cup of flour
- In another bowl,fill with your breadcrumbs, plus lemon zest (optional)
- Set all 3 bowls aside
- In a mixing bowl mix skinned sausages, black pudding, green apple, green spring onion, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Make a golf ball size shape from the mixture
- Flatten the ball into the palm of your hand and then place the 1st egg in the centre
- Spread the mixture around the egg until covered. It should be an even coating and not too thick
- Dust with flour
- Roll in egg-wash
- Roll in the bread crumbs
- Cook each ball in boiling/heated oil for 10-12 minutes
- Drain on paper and cool
- Pack in a storage container and off you go for a picnic!
- Spoon our Sweet Capsicum Relish on top to serve