Home made Sausage Rolls with Port and Fennel
Low FODMAP, GF
Servings : 20
This is an all year-round favourite in our house. A perfect pairing with our home-made Tomato Sauce and Spicy Tomato Sauce.
Fennel seeds can add an extra burst of flavour, but definitely not a necessity if not your thing!
Plus, you can make sausage rolls in advance and freeze until you want to use them. Perfect for preparation in advance.
- 150 g fatty bacon (finely chopped)
- 500 g pork mince (ground with fat)
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp FreeFOD garlic replacer or 1 tsp Cobram Garlic infused EVO
- 1 celery stick (finely chopped)
- ½ cup green spring onions (optional)
- ¾ Cup bread crumbs (we used Spelt Sourdough)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
Baking & to serve
- 2 ½ sheets GF Puffy Pastry (thawed then each cut into half)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- NOGO Tomato Sauce or Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Heat oil in a fry pan (non-stick) on medium heat.
- Sauté celery until soft, then add bacon and cook for 2 minutes
- Add green spring onions and cook for a further minute, then cool the mixture
- Add remaining ‘main ingredients’ into a mixing bowl. Mix well
- Lay out a rectangle of pastry, brush egg along on side of the long edge
- Take 1/5th of the filling and shape into a long ‘cigar’ shape down the middle of the rectangle of pastry. Make sure the mixture if compacted
- Brush edge of pastry with egg mixture. Roll up, finishing with the seam side down.
- For best results refrigerate (under glad wrap) for minimum an hour
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Cut each log into the length you require, we suggest in half
- Brush with egg
- Score the top of the pastry with a nice pattern, making sure not to cut the pastry through
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown
- Serve hot with our DELICIOUS TOMATO OR SPICY TOMATO SAUCE