Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagne
Recipe by : Lane Wiederstein, Nutritionist.
GF, Low FODMAP Vegetarian
This Gluten Free Veggie Lasagne is layered with pumpkin, Mediterranean veggie mix, pasta and béchamel sauce. It’s the perfect family meal that deserves to be shared on any night of the year.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) spray
- 800g Kent pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced
- 3 red capsicums, diced
- ½ small eggplant (200g), diced
- 8 oyster mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup spring onion (green ends only), diced
- 1 cup parsley or fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp garlic infused EVOO
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 380g Sweet Basil & White Wine Sauce
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 2 cups full fat milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 130g (8-9) gluten free lasagne pasta sheets
- Finely chopped basil sprinkled on top of the lasagne.
- Preheat the oven to 180° Spray a baking tray (lined with baking paper) and a 7x25cm baking dish with EVOO spray
- Cut pumpkin into 1cm-thick slices. Arrange on the baking tray and season with salt. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes
- Dice the zucchini, capsicum, eggplant, oyster mushrooms and green part of the spring onion. Roughly chop the herbs
- Heat the EVOO and garlic infused EVOO in a large pot (with a lid) over medium heat. Add the veggies to the pot for approximately 10 minutes or until soft
- Add the NO GO pasta sauce, salt and pepper to the pot. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the sauce jar, put the lid back on and shake to get the last drops of sauce out, then pour it into the pot. Give the veggie mix a good stir, then turn the heat to low and place the lid on. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened
- To make the béchamel sauce, place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted and started to foam, add the flour to the pan and continue to stir until the for sauce is bubbling. Remove the pan from heat then gradually stir in the milk with ½ teaspoon of salt. Place the pan over really low heat until the sauce thickens (approx. 3-5 minutes).
- Arrange 1/3 pumpkin across the bottom of the baking dish, followed by 3 sheets of pasta, a layer of the veggie mix, a layer of béchamel sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat until all the pumpkin, pasta, veggies and béchamel is used up. Make sure you layer in that order and the very last layer isn’t pasta sheets, as the gluten free pasta tends to curl up in the oven if it’s not weighed down with something heavier i.e. veggie mix*
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagne with remaining cheese (there should be ½ cup)
- Place the lasagne in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden on top and pasta is tender
- Let the lasagne cool, before cutting it into 6 pieces.
- Serve with a simple green salad
- This recipe should make enough for 3 layers of pumpkin, veggie mix, pasta and béchamel.
- You can break the pasta sheets to ensure they fit in the dish and don’t overlap.
- Perfect for freezing